We are all aware that breakfast is an important meal. However, during a busy morning with getting everyone and everything ready for the day, breakfast is often overlooked or compromised with whatever you can get in when running out the door. Yet, breakfast can be quick, healthy, and easy to prepare with the right steps. Here are three tips and some meal ideas below to get you started in developing a quick and healthy breakfast for easy mornings.
1. Prepare the night before or on the prior weekend for simple grab and go options. Whether you create overnight oats, oatmeal bars, whole grain muffins or something else, make it ahead of time to simply reheat it or grab it and go in the mornings. Here is a base recipe for quick and simple oatmeal bars:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Combine 4 cups of quick oats, 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute, 4 eggs, 1 cup milk (soy, almond, cow, etc), 1 cup applesauce, and 1 tsp of vanilla. You may also add whatever else sounds tasty like chocolate chips, cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and more to adjust the flavor or alter the recipe.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Allow time to cool, then cut into squares and store in the refrigerator to simply reheat for the next morning. Remember to store your food properly consistent with the FDA food storage guidelines.
2. Try something simple and new with one or more of these quick meal ideas:
- Toast with nut butter (ex. peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc) or toast with avocado. Top nut butter toast with a sliced bananas or avocado toast with grape tomatoes for more flavor.
- Egg sandwich with a quick scrambled egg on the stove top or with a microwave safe omelet pan on your favorite whole grain toast and add a slice of cheese.
- Plain Greek yogurt with nuts like pecans or walnuts and a fruit of your choice, such as blueberries or diced peaches.
- Breakfast smoothie with milk, frozen fruit (ex. mixed berries, banana) and a protein powder of your choice.
- One piece of fruit and ¼ cup unsalted nuts
3. Cook your breakfast while getting ready in the morning with a casserole recipe that is guaranteed to meet your needs for the day, such as this egg bake breakfast casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and spray a casserole dish with non-stick-cooking spray.
- Mix eggs, diced onion, diced red and green pepper, cubed sausage (prepared ahead of time), frozen spinach, and shredded cheese in a bowl. You can adjust the amount of each ingredient you wish or add another ingredient as desired. You may even add your favorite spices, such as garlic powder, pepper, oregano and thyme.
- Pour into a casserole dish and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes.
- This dish is even tasty when it is topped with salsa or pico de gallo.
Breakfast is an important meal, although it is often overlooked. Try these three tips and meal ideas to develop a quick and healthy breakfast for easy mornings: Prepare ahead of time, try something simple and new, or cook your breakfast while getting ready in the morning. For more breakfast tips, visit this Cecelia Health blog written back in September titled September is Better Breakfast Month.